Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Truth And Accuracy Are Unacceptable

Many members of the undocumented population on Long Island are hopping mad. They have grown tired of being told they don't belong in the United States and made to feel as if they are unwelcome. Consequently, earlier this week, some of the undocumented and their supporters took to the streets to protest the hateful use of the term "illegal" in conjunction with the word "immigrant."

When interviewed by a local member of the press, here is some of what they said they would like the American public to know:

Osman Canales, Gay Rights And Immigrant Rights Activist

- I'm a human being, don't call me 'illegal!'

- It's a racist word against our community.

- We are not criminals. We are hard working people that are here just looking for a better life.




Elias Llivicura, Unmarried Teenage Father

- The term "illegal," you know, it makes some people feel uncomfortable.

- We also have feelings, too. It makes me feel like I'm different from everybody else. It makes me feel, like, really bad inside

- I can't do anything about it. I can't change it, so it's just what I am. I'm undocumented, what can I do?

Jackie Saavedra, a Mexican unauthorized resident who has been attending college classes, chimed in with the observation "by saying 'illegal,' they're assuming that we broke a criminal law."

George Orwell
What is not indicated by the newspaper articles about this event is that George Orwell was in attendance. Actually, it is unlikely he was anywhere near the vicinity in view of the fact that the author of 1984 passed on many years ago. However, prior to his death, he did issue a pair of statements that can well be said to have particular relevance to this protest that unfolded on Monday:

- We have now sunk to the depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.

- Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.







1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u












    Dissertations Help

    ReplyDelete